Pacific Crest Trail – Day 59 (39 miles)

Pacific Crest Trail – Day 59 (39 miles)

I started walking down to the south fork of the Feather River. It was a long, slow 10-mile descent. I felt great, the trail well graded and rock free and I broke into a run at times.

I got to the bottom and looked at the time, I had managed to get down by 8.30. That was quick! I sat on the bridge and eat instant potatoes, watching the water crash onto the rocks. I was thinking about last time I was here in ’15 and how we swam and floated down the rapids.
I then started the climb up 4000ft (1300m). This again went better than I expected as I raced up the hill. It seemed like it was going to be one of those days when hiking was easy and extremely enjoyable and nothing could go wrong.
At the top, I stopped at a spring and talked to a section hiker while I eat again.

I proceeded on and the trees grew thicker. I passed a few sections that had so many downed trees that I had to climb, walk around or crawl under.

It was definitely a day of trees. Lovely pines and furs, covered in a bright green moss. They looked striking in the heat.

Once another note, I wonder when this heat wave will end? It is 105 in the valley and not that much cooler in the hills.

I still felt good. I looked at the map and altered my plans. This morning I wanted to get to the edge of the range and then descend into Beldon Town tomorrow. I now contemplated having a huge day and walking into Beldon tonight.

At around 6 pm I ran into @thewalkingtwo sitting on a rock. I sat down with them and eat dinner. I saw them in the high Sierra and was so glad that they made it through only a few days behind my unsuccessful attempt.

They seemed in great spirits and were not as drained nor as tired from pushing through snow as our first meeting. They had packed in wine and cheese and offered me some at camp.

My thoughts of pushing to Beldon left and I hiked and chatted with them for the remainder of the day.

I found out that they entered the section of the Sierra I could not get through about a week after I. They apparently hit it at the right time, with a cold snap lowering the water level enough to allow them to pass through. They must have been one of the first people through that section for the year after the snow bridges collapsed.

We arrived at camp to find a couple of French hikers with a fire going. Here we ran into a problem; no one had a bottle opener. We tried to hit the cork out on a tree to no success. Eventually, we pushed the cork in and enjoyed the surprisingly good wine.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s